Wednesday, May 12, 2010

From The Vault: Quotations

Some of you know that I [Clayton] have a fondness for quotations. To make a point or illustrate an idea, I will frequently quote "someone". It could be someone who lived a long time ago, or someone still alive today. It may be someone well-known or obscure. No matter who it is, I enjoy quoting others. I write down good quotes whenever I come across them. I also have many tucked away in my mind. I draw quotes from a variety of sources: poetry, music, literature, movies, plays, speeches, news reports, and even casual conversations. If you look at my Facebook page, under the section titled "Favorite Quotations," you'll see a lengthy list of favorite quotes--and that is just a start! In many ways, I feel a kinship to John Bartlett who compiled the well-loved book Bartlett's Familiar Quotations.

It occurred to me recently that I should not be hiding my light beneath a bushel. I should be sharing these quotes with others. It's time for me to open the vault.

So I've created a new series here at The Dunger Peak: "From The Vault" (abbreviated "FTV"). From time-to-time I will post a quotation from the vault. It may be something new, old, familiar, or obscure. It may be comforting, entertaining, disturbing, or thought-provoking. Just because I pass along a quotation doesn't necessarily mean I agree or condone the statement. Sometimes we learn just as much (and maybe even more) from the folks with whom we disagree. No matter what your point of view, I hope you will read and appreciate these quotations "From The Vault".

Here's one to get us started (and it is certainly quite appropriate for this particular blog entry):

"Quote as often as possible. It saves on original thinking."
--C. S. Lewis

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home