Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Point to Ponder: Required Insurance

In the ongoing debate about health care reform in the United States, I have heard a number of folks who are critical about the possibility that all Americans would be required to purchase health insurance. "Why should people who are healthy and who don't want coverage be required to purchase insurance?" goes the query. "Why should we be subsidizing the medicals bills of those who are unhealthy?"

In response I ask: how is that different from requiring all drivers to purchase auto insurance? Most (if not all) States require all drivers to have some form of liability coverage--regardless of driving ability and accident history.

I have been driving for 26 years. During that time I have been involved in only one accident where I was at fault. The result was only $300 worth of damage. So why should I be required to purchase something I don't ever use? What if I'm content to cover accident expenses out-of pocket? Why should I be subsidising the accidents of reckless and dangerous drivers, not to mention uninsured motorists?

Just a point to ponder.
—Clayton

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home