Thursday, December 10, 2009

SWS: Prayer for Peace with Others

Dear Friends,
I came across the following prayer in my devotional reading, and thought it was Something Worth Sharing (SWS). I'm sure we can all resonate with the sentiments expressed in this prayer. [Please note: the book in which I found this prayer was published in 1928. So some of the words and expressions in this prayer do not match up with current English usage.]
Blessings,
Clayton
+ + + + + + +
My God, I have again given way to temper, and said things I would fain have left unsaid. Just at a time when all seemed at peace around me, one little word of contradiction has thrown me back, and excited feelings which I thought were conquered forever. My Father, when shall I learn to give way to others, even though I may not agree entirely with them? Forsake me not, although I am self-confident. Teach me to yield more easily, to be more patient with those who argue with me. Fill me with grace to subdue all evil feelings; for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord - Amen.

Source: Mary Wilder Tileston, ed., Prayers Ancient and Modern (New York: Grosset & Dunlap, 1928), p. 131.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home