Thursday, August 07, 2008

Positive Thinking - R.I.P.



I was saddened to receive a notice from Guideposts today. In part, the letter read:

"We would like to thank you for your continued support of Positive Thinking magazine. We know how much this magazine means to you, but after careful consideration, we have found it necessary to discontinue publishing Positive Thinking after the July/August 2008 issue."

I have received Positive Thinking since the July/August 2007 issue. Positive Thinking began in January 2007 by the same folks who bring us Guideposts. Actually, this was not the first incarnation of Positive Thinking. For many years, the folks at Guideposts published a small pocket-size magazine called Plus: The Magazine of Positive Thinking. The title was later shortened to Positive Thinking, although the format remained the same--a small booklet of stories, without advertising--published 10 times a year.

Other than what I've listed above, no further explanation has been given as to why the recent incarnation of Positive Thinking was discontinued. I can only guess that the readership numbers were below the expectations of the publishers. Just like Life magazine which folded in 2000, economics have forced another "lily among the thorns" of periodicals to perish.

I will miss Positive Thinking. In a time when we are surrounded by negativity, fear mongering, divisive vitriol, and so-called "reality" programming, it was a breath of fresh air to receive a publication that actually offered hope for a meaningful life. I only hope that Guideposts can continue to be a beacon of light in a world filled with gloom and despair.

So, to my dear friend Positive Thinking--Rest In Peace.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Positive friends,

Like you, I am saddened at the demise of POSITIVE
THINKING magazine, but perhaps even more than
you. For I worked with Dr. Peale at the Foundation for Christian Living two days a month (for 216 months) or exactly 18 years, and created the small-form PLUS magazine you describe and gave it its name.

I also created the Positive Thinkers Club and the annual renewal cycle for PLUS, during our yearly
"Loyalty Month" that I also invented. I wrote all appeal letters and know that when I began Peale's took in barely a million a year. But we got it up to $25 million annually, reaching a total over $250 million for our work together over the years.

I wrote Guidepost's first "million dollar" appeal too.

I still miss NVP's everlasting Positive expectations.
(Your message box found something or other "Illegal" in my two different URLs. Sorry)

Gaylord Briley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home