Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Some Words from Ezra

I am reading through the Apocrypha for the second time. I have long had a fascination for these "hidden" books of the bible. Currently I am reading 2 Esdras. 2 Esdras is one of the more obscure books of the Apocrypha, and is not recognized as canonical Scripture by any major Christian denomination.

2 Esdras is an apocalypse, and reads very much like the canonical books of Daniel and Revelation. I have found many similar images among these three books. 2 Esdras depicts Old Testament prophet Ezra as the recipient of visions from God about the future. Here's an interesting, and perhaps fun, passage that I came across recently:

"I opened my mouth, and I was handed a cup full of a fiery-colored liquid, which I took and drank. When I had drunk it, my mind overflowed with understanding, and wisdom increased within me as my memory became perfect. I began to speak and went on talking without stopping."
2 Esdras 14:29-41 (GNT)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home