Friday, July 22, 2011

August Newsletter: Hootenanny!

Dearly Beloved,
The following is my Pastor's Column for the August 2011 church newsletter. I thought I ought to post it right away, since the hootenanny is just a little more than 2 weeks away. ♥cap

=======

From Your Pastor…
Many people are surprised to learn I’ve been playing the banjo for only 6 years. Some folks figure I’ve been playing all my life. Well, I haven’t—but not because I didn’t want to. I remember as a kid seeing people play banjo on The Gong Show, Captain Kangaroo, and other TV programs. The banjo looked like a lot of fun, but I guess the timing wasn’t right. Other instruments came my way, and by high school I was dedicated to playing trumpet and flugelhorn. (I did play piano, guitar, and harmonica a little bit, but they were never my main squeeze.)

Fast forward to Memorial Day weekend 2005. Rebecca and I were attending the arts festival in downtown Hannibal. A group of musicians who called themselves “Black Hairy Possum” were playing in front of the Jam Factory music store. Chris Foss, owner of the store and leader of the band, was playing banjo that day. As I watched Chris play, I was bitten by the banjo bug. In the weeks that followed, I visited Chris’ store several times and checked out the banjos he had for sale.

While I was away at a men’s Walk to Emmaus weekend in August 2005, Rebecca went to the Jam Factory and bought the banjo Chris had recommended. What I surprise I had waiting for me when I came home from the weekend! It was love at first sight. I gradually began teaching myself to play, and had my first public performance at Monroe City Manor on February 15, 2006. Since then I’ve played at other nursing homes, nutrition centers, churches, parades, community events, parties, jam sessions, meetings, conventions, and Walk to Emmaus events.

In addition to the joy of making music and bringing smiles to people’s faces, I’ve been amazed at how playing the banjo has helped me make many new friends. One special friend I’ve made is musician, professor, author, and potter Al Beck. I met him by accident at the Monroe City Arts in the Park, October 2009. I was walking around the park, playing and singing. A gentleman at one of the booths got my attention asked if I knew such-an-such a song. I said yes and started to play. This man—Al Beck—promptly began to sing along. We sang several songs together that day, and decided that we needed to get together again and make some more music.

This came right before hand injuries “benched” me from playing banjo for several months. Scheduling conflicts prevented us from participating in the 2010 Arts in the Park. So our “reunion” concert didn’t take place until January 2011. Coinciding with the 6th month anniversary of my hand surgeries we held a hootenanny, “How Can I Keep From Singing: a Folk Music Celebration to Beat the Winter Blues.”

Al and I both love the rich tradition of American folk music. Our country’s history is filled with many wonderful songs that tell the stories of our struggles, triumphs, and faith. Unfortunately, many of these songs are not being sung by children today. And unless we pass these songs along to future generations, this rich tradition of American heritage could be a forgotten relic of the past.

You can help keep America’s folk music alive. Attend the hootenanny Al and I will be holding on August 7 at Monroe City UMC. But don’t just come by yourself, bring some children with you. Bring your children, grandchildren, the neighbor’s children, or just nab some kids off the street (but be careful—we don’t want to break any laws!) The August hootenanny is not a fundraiser. The offering plates will not be passed. It is completely free, and you won’t be asked to contribute a cent. Al and I just want to have a fun, family friendly program of American folk music. So mark your calendar and tell your friends. We’ll see you on August 7 at 3 p.m.!

Grace and Peace,
Clayton

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home