Monday, August 28, 2006

Happy One Year!


It was one year ago today, August 28, 2005, that Rebecca gave to me "Ol' Smokey". Ol' Smokey is a 5-string open back banjo made by Morgan Monroe. I had been wanting a banjo for some time (actually off-and-on since childhood). My interest in the banjo peaked again last year as I became acquainted with Chris Foss who with his wife Melanie owns and operates The Jam Factory music store in Hannibal, Missouri.
It was "love at first sight" when Rebecca presented me with Ol' Smokey. I soon began to teach myself the Clawhammer/Frailing style of banjo playing. In February 2006, I made my "world premier" at the Monroe City Manor nursing home in Monroe City, Missouri. I have since become a "regular" on their entertainment schedule, performing usually twice a month. I have also performed in a variety of venues including Palmyra and Monroe City United Methodist Churches, the Monroe City Senior Center, and have joined in the Jam Session with the Black Hairy Possum.
I could go on and on, but we'll save that for a future post. In the meantime, join in me in giving thanks for one year of music and fun with Ol' Smokey!

3 Comments:

At 8:33 AM, Blogger Ava said...

Congratulations on your year of music!! That's great! Music sure adds a lot to my life, that's for sure.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Mickey said...

Hi Guys,Again,a really good blog.I would love to hear Clayton play this.Please let us know when you will be in town next.We Love you,Mr.Mom Uncle Mickey

 
At 8:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ole Smokey model was my fave of the 5 banjos I had (including the Gold Tone Whyte Laydee!) It's the best Open Back for the money - but, like a dummy, I sold mine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home